Saturday, August 16, 2014

Thoughts on Late Night Laundry

We all have our dirty laundry. It's the pieces of the past we wish we could forget; it's the parts of our lives we wish we could wash clean.

As I sit and wait on my actual, tangible laundry, my mind has been wandering and reflecting on the figurative laundry of my past. To some, it might not seem all that wild, crazy or bad. But in God's eyes, any actions we have taken that remove us from Him are equally as ugly, dirty, and disappointing. 

Thankfully, we don't have to live with the burden of that load.

Through His grace, we are saved.

Through His patience, we are guided to new paths.

Through His forgiveness, we can move onto better days of wiser decisions.

The past six months of my life have been a tumultuous time of reflection, growth, and perseverance in learning to take these steps of faith into a brighter future. Although I've been a Christian my whole life, I do not believe there has been any portion of that time that was more challenging of my faith. 

The reality check I went through last spring was rough, dirty, and sometimes made me want to cry. But through Christ's love, I got through it. 

Being back at college is showing me exactly how much I've developed as a young woman in these past six months. The pains of the past are lesser and the excitements of the future are greater. My moods are stable and my confidence in who I am in Christ has flourished. 

God gave me exactly the detergent I needed to rinse my past hurts clean. He can do it for you, too. I hope and pray that my late night laundry thoughts are the encouragement you need to allow Christ to clean up your past. There is no need to live folded under the guilt and burdens of the past. 

Through His love, we are cleaned and set free. He pulls us out of darkness and into light.

We see this with Job:

"God has delivered me from going down to the pit, and I shall live to enjoy the light of life." Job 33:28

"As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy." James 5:11

We see this in 1 Peter:

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9

We see this in Isaiah:

"'Come now, let us settle the matter," says the Lord. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are as red as crimson, they shall be like wool.'" Isaiah 1:18

These are just a few of many examples of God's remarkable love and forgiveness. Take some time to soak in His goodness, because He truly cares for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment