Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Harness Racing Fan is Born

I actually understood a sport.

For those of you who know me well, this is nearly as significant a life event as the fact I was published for the first time this week. I attended the Clyde Hirt Journalism Workshop, which encompasses all aspects of reporting on harness racing. Not only did I have to learn to properly watch a race, but also comprehend the ins and outs of the event to share with others through writing.


I feel so blessed to have had the opportunities offered the past four days. I am not a journalism major, yet feel prepared to freelance write for publications in my future, thanks to this workshop. Thanks be to God for the talents he has given me. There is no way I could have done this weekend alone through my own sheer willpower. Glory to Him for the guidance and resources provided to make my first publishing experiences a success! 

Here are my articles for the Philly Inquirer:

Philadelphia Owner Skips Billy Joel Concert to Run Longshot in Hambletonian

Takter Drives Trixton to Hambletonian Victory

In addition to the writing opportunities, I had what seem to be once in a lifetime experiences. Check out the photos below (photo credits to Lia Eustachewich) to see some highlights!


We toured the NY Daily News and were copy-edited by a staff member.



Tour of the paddock at Yonkers Raceway. We spoke with a veterinarian and met driver Jason Bartlett.
I drove CD's Miss M, then gave her a bath and cleaned the stall at Gaitway Farm. She was such a sweet Trottingbred horse!


I fed Captaintreacherous a carrot. He had a silly personality and would stomp his feet when he wanted more to eat.


I sat in the press box at Citi Field. Great view!


Another awesome view-- sitting in the dugout for the Mets! I even chewed their bubble gum. If I was more athletic, I'd say I felt ready to walk out onto the field and play.


On the day of the Hambletonian (harness racing's most prestigious event), we had a roundtable with professionals in the field.


I had such a memorable experience at this workshop and hope to stay involved in (or at least watch) the field of harness racing. A fan has been born!

Now for a safe flight home with my cousin, Kathy Parker :)


No comments:

Post a Comment