Monday, May 5, 2014

"How worn is your Bible?"

As I glanced at all the mess on my desk tonight, I noticed the worn edges of my Bible. Hmmm. Those are new. 



Now that I think about it, I remember a conversation I had with my women's group leader, close to this time last year. I had nonchalantly mentioned how I liked my Bible to be in top-notch shape and didn't like to see it's beautiful pink exterior show the wear and tear. 

Rather than simply nodding her head and agreeing with that casual statement, the leader looked me directly in the eyes and made a statement that should have sunk in sooner. Something challenging, along the lines of "an unworn Bible typically means it isn't being read"

I brushed it off at the time and didn't think much of it. I was attending women's group and church weekly, clearly I was "a good Christian". However, that concept of "how worn is your Bible" is proving to be true in my life as I reflect on the past year. Now, I am truly embracing that wear and tear because it is representative to the change that has been occurring in my life.

I have always been a believer in Christ, but I feel that in the past few months I have come to a new understanding of what it actually means to be a follower of Him. Reading my Bible regularly has been a key step in that direction. Sure, church groups are nice and acts of service are great. I used to enjoy simply perusing devotionals and Christian books, but without the actual Bible, those, along with the religious actions, are not truly effective. Those should be the books and experiences sought to enrich our walk with God, not as the sole provider of a relationship with Christ.

The Bible is a foundation of the Christian faith and I can now say thank you to that leader for her challenging words. Although it did not make sense at the time, it sure does now. I have not made so much growth in my faith and understanding of God since I started reading regularly.

I encourage all of you to pick up your Bible and just start somewhere. I supplement with an iPad app that provides a reading schedule (in less than a year, I should be all the way through it!). Nevertheless, Christ can work through any efforts, order, or structure you place upon your study of His word. Every verse of scripture has something to teach and has the potential to change your life. Give it a chance to wear down your walls and seep into who you are.

The worn edges of my Bible are a reminder of the work Christ has done in my life. I am forever changed by His grace and have the worn edges as a small way to prove it!



No comments:

Post a Comment