Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Bold Writing in the Name of Christ

I went through a phase not too long ago where I got annoyed by people who seemed to constantly post something about Jesus on social media. I automatically would see it as being pushy and a turn-off, as a poor, inaccurate, and shallow representation of the religion I followed. 

While I do think there has to be a balance when it comes to expressing faith, I now realize I was far too quick to judge and become annoyed by those posts. Christ doesn't call us to fit into the social norms and to nonchalantly express our love for Him. He asks for action that is much bolder and more direct. 

In Acts 28:31, Paul "boldly and without hindrance preached the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ."

Although every word we speak and write may not always directly state Christ's name or include a Bible verse, those words should still be a reflection of His goodness, His grace, and His teachings. He asks us to follow His call and to forward the kingdom, so who am I to judge someone for posting spiritual/religious statements online? 

What truly matters, after all, is the intent behind what we say and do. If those people are posting to share the gospel and to follow Christ's lead, good for them and glory be to God! Maybe it is more often than I would prefer, but for all I know those posts could be exactly what another Facebook friend or Twitter follower needed to read. God has a plan beyond my understanding, which sometimes means I need to take a step down from my own judgement platform and see the beauty in the efforts others are making. 

So if I ever become that person annoying you for continuously speaking out online about Jesus, I get it. I completely understand your thought process and annoyance. But I will promise you, the intent behind these posts is completely to strengthen my relationship with God and to share stories of His grace in my life with others. 

I hope and pray that I can offer some bold writing in the name of Christ. It's what He calls us to do, after all!



No comments:

Post a Comment