Monday, March 10, 2014

Change, for Better or Worse!

As many experienced just yesterday, the time changed by an hour. Although that amount of time seems insignificant and the switch is expected to occur every year for daylight savings, I think most people would agree that it makes something seem "off" for the next few days. We can't always pinpoint why the change made such a difference in how we feel, but nonetheless the impact is felt.

Other changes in our lives, big or small, can lead to the same exact feeling. For instance, when I moved to a different residence hall, I quickly found that the place had a different atmosphere. I could not pinpoint what made it feel different, aside from physically being in a different location. Despite the welcoming atmosphere and my new and improved room, I still had to adjust to the different residence hall and make myself comfortable with the change.

On a more personal and life-changing level, a change that took some effort and adjustment was moving away to college for the first time. I was very close with my family and moving three hours from the place I grew up led to a process of finding balance between home and school. Instead of just being able to walk outside my bedroom and say good morning to my siblings, I had to now make a conscious effort to stay in touch. This wasn't always successful-- there were times my siblings and I would get into disagreements over whether or not we cared about each other. Sometimes one of us would drift and not make as much effort as the other, which became very frustrating at times. Change throws us into a readjustment period, in which areas of our life that were once consistent become unpredictable.

These periods of readjustment can lead us into better or worse situations; the direction we head is all a matter of what we choose to believe. Being thrown into unpredictable and uncomfortable circumstances can easily cause us to doubt God's goodness, which can send us down a negative path and falter our steps towards knowing Christ. On the contrary, remembering that the Lord is always watching over us and creating perfect plans for our future can reassure us during these times and send us down a positive path. 

As you adjust to the time change and reflect on more significant changes in your life, take note of these verses in Psalms 18:

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
-Psalm 18:2

"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."
-Psalm 18:30-32

God will remain constant, no matter how difficult a change in our life may be. Feeling uncomfortable can be a sign to lean on Jesus, rather than a path to doubt and negativity. I pray that we all remember to see the Lord as our shield, strength, and stronghold as we face changes in our lives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment