Friday, March 28, 2014

Flawed System: The Sunday-Only Mentality

"I want it all!" 

Yeah, Sharpay from High School Musical sang those words back in the day. I said them, too. Not out loud, but mentally.

Every Sunday I went to church, I left disappointed. I wanted more, but I didn't want the commitment. That Sunday-only mentality was a hugely flawed system, as I have recently learned!

Last year, I found a Bible study women's group that was a great fit. I started to see glimpses of what it could be like to know people during and outside of church, but my mistake was going to a Bible study in one organization and church through a different group. They didn't match; although I received great information from both, the topics and people did not align.

That system did not work with my schedule this past fall, which put me into a weird category of kinda-churchgoer-kinda-not. It was hit or miss if I made it.

Well, that had to change when I realized I was in desperate need of someone to lean on this past February! (check out Spongebob Isn't the Only One Hitting Rock Bottom post). I was feeling lonely, rejected, and isolated at times and the best thing I could come up with to do in response was start looking for some new Christian friends. I had no idea what God would bless me with when I took the plunge and got re-connected at a church, so thank goodness He led me to make this decision!

Tonight, I was reaffirmed that my thoughts earlier this year of feeling disappointed at church were actually a sign I needed to get more involved. I wanted to know people and have people to talk with about the services, but I was only making room for church activities on Sunday. I was a hit-or-miss follower of Christ, only making it important when convenient.

Christ calls us to follow Him at all times and to have fellowship with other believers, not just on Sunday, but as much as possible:

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching." -Hebrews 10:24-25

I think my experience of now feeling incredibly welcomed, appreciated, and accepted is a great comparison for me. I now look forward to church and my Lifegroup. I've truly seen this as a learning experience for myself on the importance of getting plugged in completely. We can only fully experience the fellowship God desires for us to have if we make it a priority. I hope some of my readers can learn from my mistake. I pray that you all can experience the joy of being connected to a church and to other believers, much earlier on in your walk than I experienced!


No comments:

Post a Comment