Friday, March 7, 2014

Scripture Study: Digging into Matthew 16:24-26



This is the first of many scripture study posts! Grab your Bible and get pumped! Scripture studies will be short blurbs focused around a snippet of the Bible. I'm a huge fan of devotionals, so I hope for these to turn out to be similar in the fact that they are short, digestible, and applicable pieces of scripture that can be referenced throughout your day-to-day life. I pray the verses selected encourage readers to take a deeper look at the Bible on their own time and to see what lessons they can learn through scripture study.

I was flipping through my Bible and found an old piece of paper wedged between some pages. When I checked out Matthew 16:24-26, I decided that scrap of paper was worthy of some discussion!

Then Jesus said to the disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can man give in exchange for his soul?"
-Matthew 16:24-26

My interpretation of this piece of scripture comes down to a few main points:

a) The big idea- Following Jesus means giving up the ways of this world. Life isn't going to be the same, but that's okay because Christ will help us to find a new life in Him. 

b) A thought to take with you- Decisions we make on a day-to-day basis should be able to say "no" to the question, "Am I forfeiting my soul?" Our souls are incredibly valuable. The ways of this world are not worth the cost of exchanging the eternity Christ offers to us.

c) A question for you to consider- Are you willing to take up your cross by doing what Christ desires and asks you to do? 

I pray that this scripture provides some food for thought. Thanks for sharing a few minutes with me in studying God's word!



No comments:

Post a Comment