Sunday, March 2, 2014

Spongebob isn't the only one hitting "Rock Bottom"

As a young child, I remember the terrifying scene in the Spongebob 3D ride at Paramount's King's Island in which Spongebob dives uncontrollably into the depths of "Rock Bottom". There is unanticipated complete darkness and the ride jerks little children every which way as yelps and squeals erupt throughout the theater. I'd quickly remove my 3D glasses for some relief from the chaos, only to find that my seat was still rocking and the scary "Rock Bottom" creatures, although blurry, could still be seen on screen.

That is exactly how I've felt for the past three weeks.

Rejection is a terrible feeling to experience. It damages feelings of self worth, increases feelings of anger, and ultimately made me feel as though my life was spiraling out of control. Who would I spend time with? What would my future look like? Did anyone out there even like me? Those types of doubts broke into my peaceful mind and eliminated all feelings of peace.

Praise be to God, those types of feelings and doubts don't have to be reality. Yeah, "Rock Bottom" is an ugly place. It's dark, scary, and lonely. However, those thoughts are a trick. Satan knows an easy way for a college-aged Christian to falter is through social isolation and negative thoughts, but falling for those lies does not have to be reality.

When I was feeling lonely, there was always a caring family member, an old friend, or a member of the local church to pull my spirits out of "Rock Bottom".

When I was doubting my worth, there was always a Bible verse reminding me of my beauty in God's eyes.


When I was afraid of where the future would take me, there was always a promise that God had an amazing plan for my life.


No matter how bad I felt, Christ was always providing everything I could need to handle the situation with grace and forgiveness. It was up to me to choose if I would take Him up on that opportunity.


Hitting "Rock Bottom" is what it took for me to reexamine my efforts towards pursuing a relationship with Christ. That might be your situation, but even if it is not, we can all relate to having moments of feeling disappointed, excluded, and undesirable. From here forward, I challenge myself and my readers to take those moments that can temptingly trick us into visiting "Rock Bottom" and to refocus on what God says about our value and purpose.

A verse that I continually reflect on when I have doubts is Psalm 139:14. 

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." -Psalm 139:14


God has created all of us with the utmost care. We are not created to be pitiful-- we are created to be WONDERFUL! Christ wants us to form a relationship with Him and to share His love with others. Next time you find yourself heading towards "Rock Bottom", take a moment to praise God and realize that He works the negative moments of life into wonderful opportunities, if only we let Him.

God didn't design us for a "Rock Bottom" quality of life. He is always with us and continually working life out for the good of His kingdom.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Sara!
    Thank you so much for this blog. I'm so thankful that you have the courage to share your stories this way! God is Great and I'm looking forward to reading more about your perspectives on life and how you're growing your faith in your journey with Him. I know it's been a while since we've talked, but I hope all is going well for you!!!

    ReplyDelete