Thursday, March 20, 2014

Defining a "God Moment"

"God Moment"

It's a phrase that I have used and heard others use on countless occasions. I think it might mean God is really obviously acting in someone's life. I think it could mean that someone believes God is real because of it. I think it potentially means that God is blessing lives and working miracles. 

If I can only "think" the phrase means something, I am left with a dilemma...what does "God Moment" really mean? And why do we use such an ambiguous phrase to describe it?

Isn't every moment of our life a "God Moment"?

This question popped into my head a few weeks ago. Since then, I cannot confidently say I have reached many conclusions besides the thought that a "God Moment" is really our way of expressing God's presence in our lives when we are particularly amazed by His blessings, grace, and power.

God is always in our lives and from my experience, I'd say that is a pretty basic teaching in most churches. So in that case, I feel relatively comfortable with saying every moment of my life should be considered a "God Moment". He is always with me, always seeking a relationship with me, and always working situations for the good of His kingdom. 

Sometimes, particular moments in life stand out as being especially clear of God's presence and power. I think a nice edit, for the purposes of this post, would be to refer to these revelations as an "Only God Moment". These are the times in life when there is nearly no other explanation or way of understanding-- only God could have made that moment possible and it is clear that He exists and is paving the way. 

I had one such moment today. After a friend had put the idea into my head to get involved volunteering with the childcare at church, the thought wouldn't leave my brain no matter how much I tried to reason myself out of it. "I already have enough on my plate", "I'm not experienced enough", "I don't know most of the other volunteers"...those sorts of rationalizations (aka lies) were not enough to stop me from filling out a form to become a volunteer. After that step, I decided to just trust God and if He wanted me to follow my friend's suggestion, I would take the opportunity wholeheartedly. Sure enough, I got an e-mail the very next day to line up getting involved. No concerns about my level of experience, my lack of knowing the person in charge, or my challenges that could arise with scheduling.

I am tempted to call that a "God Moment", but I no longer think that using that phrase really gives my life in Christ the praise it deserves. This is what I'd like to call an "Only God Moment" because it is clear that only God could have made all of the thoughts, suggestions, and interactions occur in a way that made this opportunity so perfect for where I am in life. It emphasizes how much He is working for the good of His people and how He will always open the doors that align with His plans. 

The most conclusive thought I've had from this experience is that I need to start using my "Only God Moments" as a reminder that every moment of my life is part of His plan. Every piece of my day, breath that I take, and word that I speak is aligned with a greater purpose. Every aspect of my life is worthy of praising Him for grace, understanding, and support. Every little bit of what we experience is a "God Moment", if only we choose to recognize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment